Monday, February 14, 2011

Module 2

Important Concepts

1.  The ratio of phonics instruction to whole language instruction should be somewhere between 3:1.  Students need regular opportunities to apply their phonics skills. There’s not one way to teach phonics.  The main thing is to develop cognitive clarity, keep children engaged and must be multileveled.

2.  Phonemic Awareness refers to the ability to focus on and manipulate phonemes in words.  PA skills help children learn to read words in various ways.  All the process involved in learning to read and write words requires PA. 

3.  Phonemic Awareness instruction helps beginners but not older disabled readers to spell.  PA instruction does not have to last a long time to be effective.  All primary teachers should have PA instruction as a component of their literacy instruction. 

Implementation

During my phonics instruction in whole group, I plan to start using some of the different games/activities such as Words You Know and Reading/Writing Rhymes.  This will allow students to become more proficient at manipulating words while enjoying learning how to do it. 

Strategy

In my kindergarten class, I used a Venn Diagrams to compare and contrast spiders versus insects.  The students enjoyed learning what they had in common yet learning about their differences as well.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda! I am so excited to finally get to read your blog! I hope you are finding the readings worthwhile.

    On your reflections, if you could, add more detail. I would really like to "see" what you "see." WHen you implemented the strategies and changes, what happened? How did the students like them? How did you implement them?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.